The Breen Machine

The Breen Machine
CyclOcar at the Guadalupe Desert Salt Flats, Texas nearly 2,000 miles into it's 30,000 mile journey. Pedal Power = Carbon Neutral Living

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

San Angelo

The next day I was able to help her escape after David arrived and carried my machine to San Angelo where he had found a bicycle shop. He put her on the Greyhound bus and she agreed to keep in touch.

The Concho Cycle Shop owner was Justin and Marlin the mechanic was born in Peckham, London. He has now picked up a strong American accent! When he started work on the wheel he found several spokes that were about to break.


Justin


Soon everything was ready but he was unable to remove the slight bend in the rim.


They advised me to be extremely careful near the Mexican border as there are a lot of kidnappings and murders with them even shooting across the border. Most people now say that the problem is moving well into the USA many miles from the border.


Marlin at work









David and I went for a lovely meal that really filled us up and to my great surprise the owner refunded my payment. This was a really nice gesture on his part and he told me that he had lost his mother to breast cancer. So if you are ever in Paula Sue's Country Style on 2017 North Bryant Blvd San Angelo it is really worth a visit.

Jeannie Miller, Garry Hardegreigh & Austin Turner




Beautiful Buildings in San Angelo


Mark came cycling past and asked me for a light. I noticed that he was smoking an old dog end and asked if he was alright. He told me that he is a vertical tree trimmer but there isn't much work around at the moment and has to pay $14 per night to sleep in the Salvation Army place. First two nights are free then everyone must pay so he sleeps rough. He hadn't eaten since the day before so I got him a McD which he finished off very quickly. He is from Hawaii and is struggling to make a living here so doesn't know what to do next.

I paid for two nights stay at the SA and a little more for some food. He couldn't believe his luck and I felt good that I was able to help him out.


Mark Tascan


Just before retiring to bed I met John who was extremely interested in the Cylocar but of more interest to me was his wonderful ability to play the flute. His mother was a Cherokee Indian and the sounds that eminated from his flute were just the sort of thing I would have expected from a film soundset. Unfortunately John was badly injured when he was involved in logging and I noticed he walked with difficulty even with a stick to help him. When I asked him about his life his main trauma was when at a very young age he witnessed a murder behind his house. A man was shot and the bullet
literally put a hole through his chest. I don't think he has ever fully recovered from this and now will not have anything to do with guns.


And to finish my blog for today here is John.

No comments:

Post a Comment