The Breen Machine

The Breen Machine
CyclOcar at the Guadalupe Desert Salt Flats, Texas nearly 2,000 miles into it's 30,000 mile journey. Pedal Power = Carbon Neutral Living

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Another Disaster

I headed off for Eldorado knowing that it was going to be quite a slog generally uphill and into wind. Sometime during the trip I became aware that the machine was giving more resistance than normal. I checked it over to discover I had at least one broken spoke and a bent wheel. I had hit some debris but I didn't think it that serious. I therefore disconnected the rear brake and wobbled my way to Eldorado. On my way I saw some fascinating wildlife including an Armadillo that came and sat next to me as if we had been friends for ever!


Then I spotted the Turkey Vultures and wondered if they knew I was out of water and still 30 miles to go!


I need to remember that Western Texas has few watering holes and 100 miles between services on the backroads is common.


The first White Tail Deer I managed to photograph!



Near the Bush Ranch I spotted this entrance!


Then this....






Eventually I limped into Eldorado and headed for the nearest motel to get my head down and rest.

I was met as I was opening my door by a very distressed young lady. She had just been dropped off at the motel by a church organisation who were picking up the tab for her nights stay as she only had $5 to her name and virtually the clothes she stood in. Her story is the most incredible one I have ever heard in all my life. It was such an amazing tale that I had to get her to repeat what she had told me on tape.

If I only believed half of what she had been through it would still be too distressing for me to write about it at this moment as I would like other opinions first. Suffice to say that the police should be involved in he details but she is too afraid to talk to anyone for fear of it getting back to those she is trying to escape from.

I have put safeguards in place and have made copies of her story so I can find a way of dealing with it upon my return to Portugal.

That night I ended up watching the outside area and being prepared for those that might want to harm her but the important thing was to reassure her that they would not be able to trace her at this early stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment