The Breen Machine

The Breen Machine
CyclOcar at the Guadalupe Desert Salt Flats, Texas nearly 2,000 miles into it's 30,000 mile journey. Pedal Power = Carbon Neutral Living

Friday, October 29, 2010

Welcome Home Alabama

In some way I was really pleased to be leaving Florida especially after the verbal abuse last night.  I crossed Perdido Bay bridge at 17.00 local into Alabama and spotted lots of old rusty abandoned cars as gate guards.  Got the wrong impression as no sooner had I gone a few miles when I encountered true southern hospitality.

Download 102910165...jpg (43.8 KB)
Perdido Bay


Download 102910165...jpg (96.6 KB)
Welcome to Alabama

Lillian's cafe beckoned me.  Kim & George made me feel very welcome, offered me a coffee and to stay for the pumpkin carving ceremony.  They told me that last week they had a very large fundraising party for breast cancer and hundreds of people held hands in a chain around the bay.


Download 102910170...jpg (97.4 KB)

Lillian's Cafe

Download 102910170...jpg (93.4 KB)
George & Kim


Met a fellow Brit called Vic Saul who is playing music tonight and he kindly gave me a copy of his album.  He has designed a revolutionary guitar which Gibson were close to producing.  Please check out his website at: www.victorsaul.com
                                                                                      
Download 102910174...jpg (98.6 KB)
Vic Saul

George, Kim and several others have offered me a place to sleep for the night.  One kind gentleman even offered me a cabin on the beach!  However, I would rather camp in the grounds of the cafe to be close to my machine - I think they understand.  Kim let me, on the understanding that she brings me a coffee in the morning.

Such amazing hospitality!

As for the machine she is fairing extremely well.  Dare I say better than expected and no punctures yet.  Those tyres and inner tubes are well worth the money,  I even kipped in it for an hour outside a convenience store as my head cold really made me weary.  The temperature today started at a cool 16 degrees and maxed out at 27 degrees and 21% humidity which was perfect for cycling.

My thought for the day: 

When you go to the toilet you have generally to push the door or touch the door handle to go in and after washing your hands you have to touch the door handle to leave!  Surely you should have to pull to open and push with your body to leave?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gerry, just to let you know the photos are not showing that you uploaded......Phill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad, Really enjoying your blog and the girls are going to mark your progress on a big map of the USA.
    I managed to get a quick 40 miles in today between rain showers. It's my first time out in weeks and it was great to get some miles on the legs.

    By the way, it's bad luck to mention the 'p' word! Glad that the 'p' fairy has left you alone so far but don't tempt her!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete